It has been announced that Formby Golf Club shall host the 2016 Palmer Cup.
Formby Golf Club is a true championship links course founded in 1884, which has been modernized over the years, to ensure it remains a challenging but enjoyable test of golf. The original 18-hole course was redesigned by open golf legend Willie Park.
In the 1998 golf season, new back Tees were built to provide a “Blue” course which has extended the length of Formby Links to 7,028 yards, which has brought back into play, most of the original drive-length bunkers.
More recently in 2005 a new, larger, practice ground was constructed on the site of the whole area of the 14th hole. This has been a significant improvement in terms of Members’ and visitors’ amenity. The new 14th lies immediately to the south of the earlier one and makes for a different but considerable challenge.
The famous links course has been the venue for a number of prestigious tournaments and competitions over the years, including the Curtis Cup in 2004 and The Amateur Championship in 1957, 1967, 1984 and 2009. It has also been used as a qualifying course for The Open Championship in 1924, 1971 and 1996.